Friday, November 16, 2012

Volkswagen GTI Two-Door 2012 Review


What a difference a day makes. Last night I was in the Mini Cooper S Coupe and then I get in this Volkswagen GTI Two-Door 2012. I was thinking about trade-offs yesterday with the Coupe, but after the GTI I realized there's no need. The Mini was bone-breaking on 90 percent of the roads around here. But on the 10 percent that was smooth, that thing was razor sharp.

As for the GTI, it has all the speed and almost all of the handling of the Mini Cooper Coupe with none of the trade-off. It rides comfortably on the street and still grips in the corners. The power feels so much smoother in the GTI. It's just a bit less immediate than in the turbocharged Mini, which is down 19 hp and 355 pounds, for the record. The steering wheel has a good amount of heft, without breaking your wrist on a pothole like the Coupe does.
I still like the funky plaid interior, and the seats are comfortable. I could easily see taking this car on a road trip. The radio and heating controls are user friendly and the steering wheel controls are a bonus. Love the flat-bottomed steering wheel, which would be great for an autocross course.
I'm only half sold on the wheels. They're very unique. Racier rims might look better, but they could take away some individual character from the car. I've said it before: If I was looking for a car on my budget that does everything, I'd buy a GTI right now.
NEWS EDITOR GREG MIGLIORE: I'll agree with Jake. The GTI is one of the cars I would want in my garage for everyday driving. It's so agreeable and rewarding. It's one of the best blends of performance and precision on the market for a reasonable price. Is it perfect? No. But for enthusiasts who seek to enliven their everyday commutes, this is a solid option.
The stick and pedal form the basis of this car's character. The clutch is flat-out easy, empowering even an average driver with the confidence to flog this thing. The shifts are smooth and true, nicely channeling the revs and power. It's so smooth and simple to merge onto the expressway, building speed with grace and power.
The steering is light on-center yet not weak or docile. The chassis is tight though not abusive, and the body demeanor is composed in nearly all situations.
The cabin is quiet for this segment; got to love these seats, in my opinion. On a damp, cool night, I pedaled around at sunset with the windows and sunroof cracked, and the misty breeze blowing in. That's car catharsis.
What are the negatives? Our long-term Kia Rio SX I drove all weekend looks a lot like this thing for $8,000 less. The power is way weaker, but still, the GTI may not stand out enough for non-enthusiasts, and the Mazda Mazdaspeed 3 packs a much greater punch in the segment of hot hatches. The GTI is an acquired, addictive, taste.
DIGITAL EDITOR ANDREW STOY: I haven't been in a GTI in a long time, but I've spent weekends in two different Golf Rs in the past few months. The GTI is so close to the R, I no longer see any reason for the high-end model unless you're a rally driver or you simply have to have the most expensive VW hatch you can buy.
Everything about this car fits me just about perfectly. The seating position is upright and high for a small car so you don't feel like you're dragging on the pavement like in the Subaru BRZ. The shifter is the best front-drive variant I've felt this side of the Acura TSX. Handling, road noise, ergonomics, even the feel of the leather used on the steering wheel is simply first-rate.
So, for $28k and change, you get about 90 percent of a U.S.-spec Volkwagen Golf R. That's a deal to me, and the GTI is definitely near the top of my recommended daily drivers list.
Volkswagen GTI Two-Door 2012 with Sunroof and Navigation
Base Price: $28,615
As-Tested Price: $28,615
Drivetrain: 2.0-liter turbocharged I4; FWD, six-speed manual
Output: 200 hp @ 5,100 rpm, 207 lb-ft @ 1,800 rpm
Curb Weight: 3,034 lb
Fuel Economy (EPA/AW): 25/26.2 mpg


Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121116/carreviews/121119882#ixzz2CTDlNev0

No comments:

Post a Comment